Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Guthrie Boys' Home

A few years ago my friends and I had gotten a wild hair and began looking up haunted locations on the internet we could check out. Sure enough, we found one in Guthrie, at an abandoned boys' home. We made several trips to this haunted orphanage but one trip stands head and shoulders above the others.

We gathered up the posse including Stephen, Brad, Gabe, Raymond, Heather, Christina, Derek, Gabe and myself. We make the thirty or so minutes to Guthrie and approach the orphanage. As we approached the orphanage, the trees shrouding the building slide away to reveal the crumbling facade, half hanging shudders, collapsing roof and crumbling steps of a late twenties or early thirties take on a sprawling plantation style boys' home with attached dormitories flanking the common areas. It was something straight out of bad horror movie.
In order to enter the orphanage, which was under construction, we made our way through a break in the perimeter fence and crossed a large well lit open field into the courtyard of the home. As we approached the back entry we stopped to gather and make sure our flashlights worked and I started looking at the back of the building while everyone began to initiate the newbies with the ghost stories of the building. As the legend goes there was a crazy headmistress who with help from the groundkeeper had murdered several of the children. The children could be heard talking and laughing in the dormitories, while the headmistress could be seen wandering the common areas of the main hall and the janitor's ghost could be found in the tower where he had hung himself.

As we recanted the story I shone my flashlight at the appropriate areas of the building and as I turned my flashlight out I saw something move past one of the second story windows. I called my friends' attention to it but it had disappeared. I began looking at the windows for any sign of movement along with Gabe and Derek when a few windows down what seemed to be a face appeared in the window. I immediately hit it with my flashlight and it vanished. The three of us began to focus our other friends' attention to this strange happening when a figure passed another window; several flashlights lit the area and the panicked shreiks of the girls and Gabe seemed to scare it away. When a floor lower a ghostly white face appeared in the window. My heart skipped a beat and distinctive gasps could be heard from several others when,

"Hey, turn out those fucking flashlights, do you want the cops to show up?"

Fucking Goth kids.

No comments: